Blog

Author: Created: 1/10/2013 5:00 PM
Updates from Team 3018 Nordic Storm
By NordicStorm on 2/23/2013 4:02 PM
The weight of the new climber is providing new challenges.
By NordicStorm on 2/18/2013 4:14 PM

Our week-zero practice event was a success! Five teams from around the area attended, and we all had a productive day of building, testing, and scrimmaging. The teams arrived at our practice field at 8:00, and shared many ideas with each other as we all, at various stages of development, prepared for bag day on Tuesday. Many thanks to Gustavus Adolphus College for providing us with the space for our event as well as a delicious lunch! Thanks to all the teams for coming to work with us and make our practice event a success.

By NordicStorm on 2/10/2013 8:48 PM

Spent a while working out the algorithm and math for our climber. Since we're using a potentiometer in a linear fasion, it creates a Sin wave, so we had to work with that when writing the code. Here's us solving it for the frequency given the location of the separate arms, and the time each arm is taking to move.

By NordicStorm on 2/9/2013 6:43 PM

Today, after we finished some of our camera tracking stuff, we programmers had some free time. Since it is imperative that the climber we decided to use(the toothed "hedge-trimmer") has both motors run at exactly the same speed, give or take, we decided to start working on the code for it. The only problem is, as with anything, the programming cannot be tested until the hardware is complete. So, we decided to mock up the potentiometer system that we'll be using to drive the climber, in order to complete the algorithm by the time the device is ready. Here's what it looks like(our mock-up, not the actual thing), the two motor represent the motors driving the separate sides of the climber, and the potentiometers are mounted to them by a coat-hanger that we decimated. Our goal is to make the plastic strips attached to the potentiomenters wave back and forth together.

By NordicStorm on 2/2/2013 10:47 PM

We got the code working for Arick's climber design, here's a video of us demonstrating it on an electrical board.


--

Andrew S.

By NordicStorm on 1/26/2013 12:23 PM
At last night's practice things came together, and after a slow start to the build season (is it already half over?), it seems like we have turned a corner and momentum is building. The electrical team finished the wiring at about the same time the programmers were finishing up their driving code. The chassis was driving all over the field last night, and it's FAST and maneuverable. The programmers will work on fine-tuning the control systems while two climber teams work on different approaches. Our goal is to have climbing attachments working by Tuesday night.
By NordicStorm on 1/18/2013 8:51 PM

As you may well guess, we programmers have a bit of time on our hands while we wait for the new robot to be at a programmable point, so we have been working on our to-do list. Tonight we did the following:

  • Figured out the SmartDashboard's new LiveWindow
  • Tested the functionality of the auto code generator from WPI
  • Timed the CANbus to make an educated decision about 2CAN vs. CANbus vs. PWM cables
  • Started to load C++ on an extra CRio to see if it works better than Java

That seems about it for today. In addition to that we used some of our time yesterday to make a few more CAN to Serial cables; ours were not always working properly...

--

Andrew S.

By NordicStorm on 1/16/2013 9:04 AM

As of last night, we now have a full-sized metal pyramid constructed for our full-sized field. If you would like to join us and practice with the tower, go to the field scheduling page and submit a date and time on the calendar (website account registration required).

By NordicStorm on 1/11/2013 11:18 AM

Last night we got our first prototype for the climber working. We plan to build the other half tonight, and hopefully develop a method to drive it. 

By NordicStorm on 1/10/2013 5:00 PM
We are extremely grateful to Gustavus Adolphus College to make available a fantastic space for our team to build our robot. It's in the basement of a beautiful large new classroom building on campus and we've affectionately started referring to it as "The Bunker".  It is a large enough space for us to set up a full-sized practice field!  Stay tuned for progress on that.

 

Search Blogs